"My dog usually wears a large". We hear this all the time! In the dog apparel industry, though, there is no "usually". One brand's Large will barely fit a miniature poodle, while another brand's idea of Large is oversized for even an Irish Wolfhound! Luckily, we've found a way to remedy this and it's nearly foolproof! The thing is, we need you to work with us a little...you're gonna have to measure your dog. We've personally measured every garment we sell and taken the time to list all the measurements for you, right in the Product Details tab on each product's page. So please take the time to click the little arrow and expand the details so you can see these measurements. Then, measure your dog using the diagram and instructions on our SIZING INFO page and voila! you'll be able to easily find the corresponding size for your dog.
If you've measured your dog and still aren't sure which size to order, please EMAIL US and we'll make sure you get the right fit! We're so happy to do this. And trust us when we say IT'S SO MUCH LESS HASSLE FOR YOU THAN A RETURN.
If you do end up needing to return something though, don't sweat it. We want you and your dog to be happy, so in most cases, we do allow returns for refund or exchange.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU GET YOUR ORDER:
- DON'T TOUCH THOSE TAGS! Please step away from the scissors. We can't accept returns on merchandise with no tags, so leave them on until you're 100% sure that you're keeping it.
- TRY IT ON YOUR DOG BEFORE LETTING THEM WEAR IT. Dogs are so very hairy. And they tend to drop & roll in the blink of an eye! So when you get that sweater, quickly try it on your pup indoors (preferrably with no wrestling mates nearby). We can't accept returns on worn merchandise because we can't resell it. This is a small business and we can't afford to absorb a loss because you realized it didn't fit AFTER your dog rolled in that leaf pile. A total loss for us means we have no profit, which means no donation is made to pit bull rescue. **In the rare case of a manufacturing defect, we will of course make an exception to this policy! Please take a photo of the defect and EMAIL US right away. We'll have the manufacturer handle replacement and, if applicable, they'll include a prepaid label for the return
WHAT TO DO IF IT DOESN'T FIT:
- PLEASE LET US KNOW RIGHT AWAY. You can do this via our website or EMAIL US so we know what's going on!
- PLEASE KEEP THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING. In most cases, you can re-use it to ship back to us. It doesn't matter if it becomes FRANKENPACKAGE. Help conserve by recycling. Save the planet.
- PLEASE LINT ROLL THE ITEM, INSIDE & OUT. We have more than enough dog hair around here already, so please keep yours to yourself! if you don't have a lint roller, a piece of tape works well. The more time we spend rolling dog hair off items returned for exchange, the less time we have to process and ship orders out--seriously! There is no warehouse filled with high-tech-dog-hair-removal machines, nor are there workers standing around with lint rollers in hand, waiting to roll customer returns. Almost everything that happens at fit4apit.com (including lint rolling) is accomplished by ONE HUMAN. That human has an awful lot to do each day and has 3 extremely needy dogs (+1 semi-needy husband), volunteers for a large rescue, runs a meetup group with over 500 pit bull owners in it and needs 6 hours of sleep each night in order to function at optimal levels. Please, please, please... don't make her lint roll another sweater.
- PLEASE DON'T SEND US SMELLY THINGS. If you're a smoker returning an item, store it in a smoke-free area of your home or office until it goes to the post office! Likewise, if your dog desperately needs a bath, bathe him before trying that fleece on! If we get it back and it reeks, we'll have to charge a re-stocking fee because that item is a total loss for us. Please be considerate!!
- WE SIMPLY CAN'T AFFORD TO COVER EVERY CUSTOMER'S MISTAKE. In the case of size exchange, we typically don't provide prepaid labels unless the mistake is ours. If this makes you mad, please understand that we're not a big retailer with a wealthy CEO and a giant warehouse full of employees working around the clock! This is a nano-size, family-owned business. If we sent prepaid labels for every incoming size exchange and then turned around and paid shipping for every outgoing exchange, we would be out of business in a flash! So please-- give us a break. Be kind and honest enough to admit that maybe you didn't measure your dog... or you did measure but she was super wiggly and/or nibbling the tape measure...you lost your patience and emailed us some random numbers that sounded good. We believe in being fair with you, so please return the favor and be fair to us!
- USPS SELF-SERVE KIOSKS ARE AWESOME! Go grab a First Class label from the machine in your nearest USPS office's lobby (most of which are open 24/7). It takes 1 minute. Peel and stick, then toss it into the chute. While doing this, remind yourself that your dog is gonna totally rock that perfectly fitting jacket or sweater! You'll sleep easier that night, knowing you didn't contribute to the failure of a small business that exists entirely for the welfare and happiness of pit bull-type dogs.
- USPS FIRST CLASS IS BEST. It's cheap and it's now just as fast as Priority. You can print a label at any USPS kiosk and it takes 30 seconds (stamps.com doesn't give you a First Class option, another reason why the kiosk is best)
- EVERYTHING SHIPS BACK TO US. Unless there is a manufacturing defect and we've advised you to send to another address, send everything to us. Be sure to include your name & order # with the return. Once your return has been authorized by us and the clean, hair-free item is packaged up and ready to go, ship to us here:
Fit for a Pit
PO Box 3466
Kinston, NC 28502
IT NEEDS TO BE BACK IN OUR HANDS WITHIN 14 DAYS FROM THE DAY YOU RECEIVE IT. Don't throw it in your car and forget about it for 7 months. Many items are seasonal and stock is always changing, so we really need that item back so we can handle the exchange or refund and move on. Loose ends drive us bananas!
Once the package is received and inspected, we'll ship your exchange and update you with new tracking info. If you're returning for refund, our sytem will automatically credit your card or Paypal account for the amount of the item returned within two business days of receipt. Although we handle refunds promptly, banks don't always post refunds immediately. However, you should see it in your pending transactions within 1-2 business days (most retailers like to say "you'll see the refund within 1-2 billing cycles, but we've never actually seen a refund take that long for anyone, ever).
Original shipping charges are not refundable unless otherwise noted. If you are not eligible for a refund or would prefer a store credit, we'll email you a gift certificate coupon code to use for a future purchase.
TOYS & SPORTS EQUIPMENT
If you are purchasing toys or sports equipment, please read the item description! We rate the strength of all chew toys and always advise you to purchase the correct size for your dog (large dog=larger toy). If the toy is defective, we'll send a return label to you and either refund or exchange. If the damage is due to the toy being the wrong size for your dog (i.e., you bought the small Jolly Egg for your 80 lb dog) or indicative that the toy was misused (i.e., a flirt pole lure that was used as a chew toy), we won't be able to offer any replacement or refund.
Remember, we're here to help you, so if you have any questions about a product or need advice, please EMAIL US! We'll make sure you find the perfect items for your dog so you won't have the hassle of a return.
DOG BEDS, LINERS & COVERS
Beds and bedding are not returnable unless the bed or cover is defective!
SUPPLEMENTS, GROOMING PRODUCTS & TREATS
As long as they're not open, you can return within 14 days for refund or exchange.
IF YOU RECEIVE A DAMAGED PACKAGE: please leave all packaging intact and EMAIL US. We will file a damage claim immediately via the appropriate carrier and get a new item out to you!
OUT OF STOCK ITEMS
If an item you ordered is out of stock or on back order, you have the option to wait for the item to come back into stock (usually within a week or 2), exchange for an in-stock item or receive a full refund. We try to keep up with our suppliers' stock lists but during busy periods it can be hard to stay on top of it! Most items that tend to run out frequently are noted in the product description sections.
Now and then we have limited-edition items available for "pre-order". In these cases, the item description will clearly explain the terms and also include an esimated shipping date for the item. If purchasing anything listed as a limited edition"pre-order", you agree to the terms and fully understand the item will not be shipped until the date listed!
We can usually get other sizes and colors than what is listed on the website and are happy to special order something for you! Special orders are normally shipped to us first and then we ship it to you, so the turnaround time will be longer. We're usually able to estimate this time frame at the time of your order and will advise you of any delays in the process.
Rates: We offer free shipping on orders over $100! Orders under $100 will ship for $3.95 or $6.95 flat-rate shipping unless your order contains an oversized item. $1 shipping for items that fit in a business envelope (decals, tags, tag clips). All orders except large items are shipped either USPS First Class or Priority (both have about the same time in transit). $15 shipping for oversized items (ramps and gates) and $25 for very large, heavy items (crates, 44" dog beds, agility set). All shipments include a tracking and insurance so that we'll all know when the item has been delivered.
Transit time: Since the advent of amazon prime 1-day shipping in 2015, we've noticed a marked increase in USPS transit times. Priority mail typically takes 3-5 business days and First Class is around the same. FYI: the demand that prime shipping placed on the postal service is too much for them to handle... plus, in an effort to keep postage rates "low" they continue to lay off employees. Amazon is a huge customer for USPS, so all of their shipments are handled before everyone else's. The unfortunate result is longer transit times for non-amazon retailers (like us).
We do not use Express overnight shipping for anything, because it is never "express" or "overnight" and therefore a huge waste of money for customers. We also no longer use media mail or parcel post for anything, as shipments can take upwards of 1 month to arrive and it's not really any cheaper than First Class or Priority.
Rates: All international shipping is calculated using real-time shipping quotes and will be added to your order at checkout. We do not add any fees; the estimated amount is what we are charged by USPS. Not all items can be shipped overseas.
Transit time: Shipping transit times vary depending on the country and because of customs, can sometimes take longer. We've seen European orders arrive in as little as 1 week and we've also seen them take 2 months. Customs plays a big part in transit times and we've found that most International customers already know what to expect for orders coming from the U.S.
Customs fees: Some countries and cities will add additional customs fees, so you may be required to pay additional postage before the package is released to you by your postal carrier. This doesn't happen often, but we have seen it a few times. We have absolutely no idea why it happens, nor do we have any control over it!
We stock many of our items and in-stock orders are processed and shipped within 1-2 business days!
Chilly Dog Sweaters usually ship from Chilly Dog and if they're in stock, will ship within 1-2 business days. If out of stock, you will be notified and given the option to wait (usually under 2 weeks for their new stock to arrive) or choose an alternate style. They're amazing sweaters and we love them and think they're worth the wait but not the best option for time-sensitive orders.
14" Jolly Balls are HUGE! Because of space constraints, it's just not practical for us to stock them. They ship from one of our suppliers within 3-5 business days and will ship UPS Ground.
Hurtta jackets, vests and jumpsuits: we do stock Hurtta but we run out quickly! Hurtta orders will typically take a week to ship.
Gates, crates and ramps are shipped directly from our supplier, which takes 3-5 business days to process. Shipping service for large items is normally UPS Ground and we will provide tracking once the item is shipped by our supplier.
Freedom No Pull Harnesses, 2 Hounds Design leashes & collars are made to order and take 7-14 business days to ship out. During the holidays, this lead time increases, so please order in advance is you're buying as a gift!
Dpcted Tees and Hoodies are made to order and take 5-7 business days to print and ship. (Dpcted makes all our slogan tees & hoodies)
Ramps, gates and crates: Will ship to you within 2-3 business days from the time of the order
Dog beds: ship directly from our suppliers and handling time is 7 business days because they come from Canada (unless you're in Canada , in whichb case shipping will be faster)
Agility-in-a-Bag ships from Affordable Agility within 2-3 business days
Teca Tu: these beautiful coats are custom made and shipped within 7-10 business days from order date
Books & DVDs: we have these shipped directly from the publisher, so handling time is 2-3 business days and they ship media mail or First Class